With many bar crawls, parades and parties canceled, Halloween may look a little different this year; but this doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your favorite frightening holiday. Thanks to streaming services, cable TV, and your liquor store, you can celebrate from the comfort of your own home. Here is a list of 7 Halloween movies AND cocktail recipes to conjure up a night of terror and spine-tingling fun.
The Autopsy of Jane Doe: A father and son, both coroners, are pulled into a complex mystery while attempting to perform an autopsy on a mysterious young woman. Available on Netflix.
- 2 c. Apricot nectar
- 1/2 c. Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. Fresh orange juice
- Sparkling wine, for serving
- Citrus zest, for serving
- Instructions: In a measuring cup, stir together apricot nectar and fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice, and fresh orange juice. Divide between 2 ice cube trays and freeze. Fill glasses with cubes and top with sparkling wine. If desired, serve with twists of citrus zest.
The Babysitter/The Babysitter 2: A young boy discovers more than he bargained for when he decides to spy on his babysitter. Available on Netflix.
Good and Evil Cocktail
- 1 oz. Vodka
- 1 oz. ApplePucker
- 1 oz. Midori
- 1 oz. Triple Sec
- 1 Handful ice
- Pineapple juice
- Sprite/Sierra Mist
- Lemon slice, for garnish
- Instructions: Combine vodka, ApplePucker, Midori, and Triple Sec in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake. Pour the mixture into a cocktail glass, then top with pineapple juice and soda. Garnish with a slice of lemon (optional).
Halloween: Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to his hometown to wreak havoc on Halloween. Available on AMC.
Death in the Afternoon
- 1/4 to 1/2 oz. Absinthe
- 4 oz. Chilled Champagne or other sparkling wine
- Instructions: Pour absinthe into a glass, and top with Champagne.
Hereditary: A grieving family is haunted by tragic and disturbing occurrences. Available on Amazon Prime.
- 1 oz. Tequila
- 1 oz. Campari
- 1oz. Carpano Antica Vermouth
- Gummy brains to garnish (optional)
- Instructions: Place all ingredients (aside from garnish) into a mixing glass. Stir 30-40 times. Strain into a cocktail glass (up or over ice), garnish with brains.
Let the Right One In: Oskar, a bullied boy, finds love and revenge through his new neighbor Eli. Available on Hulu.
Spooky Scary Ginger Sangria
- 3 c. Red or black seedless grapes, divided
- 1/4 c. Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Grated fresh ginger plus 1 3-inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
- Bottle of Sparkling Wine
- Instructions: In pitcher, muddle 1 cup grapes with sugar and grated ginger. Add remaining 2 cups grapes and top with sparkling wine. Line sides of glasses with sliced ginger, fill with ice, and top with sangria.
Poltergeist: A family’s strength is tested when they learn their home is haunted. Available on Netflix
- 1/2 oz. Amaro (or brandy)
- 1 oz. Kahlúa
- 2 oz. Heavy cream
- Fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
- Instructions: Place ice into a cocktail shaker and pour in the Amaro, Kahlúa and heavy cream. Shake vigorously for 8-10 seconds, to fully mix the drink. Strain into a glass and grate fresh nutmeg on top.
Trick ‘r Treat: Five clever, interwoven horror stories come together on a terrifying Halloween night. Available on AMC.
Risen From the Grave
- 3 oz. Absolut Citron vodka
- 2 oz. St. Germain
- 1 Handful ice
- 1/4 oz. Strawberry puree
- Strawberry and mint leaf (for garnish)
- Instructions: Combine the vodka and St. Germain in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake. Pour strawberry puree into the bottom of a martini glass. Top with the vodka-St. Germain combination. Garnish drink with a strawberry and a mint leaf.